As many parents can tell you, if only their kid or kids got straight A’s.
While there are countless students out there that bring home terrific report cards each semester, others unfortunately struggle. In those latter cases, finding a tutor for your son or daughter can be some of the best money ever spent.
While there are many doors that are still open to students following high school, many colleges and universities have or are considering toughening their academic standards, meaning it is more challenging for a number of young men and women to get an education at the next level if their grades are average at best.
With that in mind, it certainly behooves parents to consider getting a tutor for their son or daughter that may be having problems with one or more subjects in school.
With a tutor in place, the advantages include:
- Focused studies – For many parents, just getting through their own day can be a challenge. With work and other responsibilities, it is not uncommon for them not to have the time when they get home to help a child with their studies. Throw in the fact that studies in many cases are different now than when the parent went to school, and it can be difficult for the child to get assistance from their parent or parents. A tutor brings focused attention on the subject matter at hand, allowing one’s son or daughter the best chance to understand the course;
- One–on-one attention – Having a tutor for your child gives them someone that can be focused on their educational needs. Face it, it isn’t a case of you not caring about their studies, but in many instances you just don’t have the allotted time available to help them. A tutor either after school or during the school day can give them that one-on-one attention that can be priceless.
Finding the Right Tutor is Crucial
If you’ve decided that your son or daughter would be best served with a tutor, the challenge then becomes finding the right one.
Whether you are looking to find a tutor in Los Angeles or somewhere else in the 50 states, it is important that you shop wisely.
In some cases, you could get lucky and find a friend of your son or daughter that excels in a certain subject, yes that subject that your child needs help in. In other cases, you may have to search for one outside of your child’s school.
If you find yourself having to look for one, keep a few things in mind:
- Credentials – While you’re not hiring someone to take over the business you work for, finding the right tutor for your son or daughter is important. Make sure they know their stuff for starters. You also want someone who has a personality that will mesh with that of your child;
- Payments – It is also important to work out the payment schedule ahead of time. What will you be paying them and when can they expect to receive payments? Even though this is not a multi-million dollar deal for a company, you don’t want any misgivings when it comes to compensation;
- Expectations – Finally, what are the expectations for both you and your child? Just because they are receiving tutoring does not mean they will go on to ace the class. You, the tutor, and your child should set reasonable expectations before any tutoring begins.
While some families can’t afford to hire a tutor for their child, others have found it to be one of the best decisions ever, allowing their son or daughter to meet the necessary requirements in the classroom.
Photo credit: learningcenter.unc.edu