Home   Tips   4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Ignore Problems With Damp In Your Home

4 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Ignore Problems With Damp In Your Home

Although you may be tempted to put off fixing that little leak you just noticed in your home, the dampness caused by it could not only cause damage to your house but it could cause problems with your health.  If you are not sure of the full implications that living in damp home can have on your health, read the following article to find out 4 reasons why you should invest in damp proofing products before it gets worse.

Bacteria

There is nothing bacteria love more than moisture.  After all, it is bacteria’s preferred breeding ground.  It doesn’t matter how many different anti-bacterial cleaning products you buy, if you have a damp house you will already have bacteria.  Colonies of bacteria thrive on damp organic matter like floorboards and wall boards.

Pests

The Director of the Industrial Hygiene Program at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at John Hopkins University, Dr Breysse stated that when there is a high level of water damage, there is a higher level of cockroach, mouse and other allergens.  These should be of particular concern to you if you have children who suffer from asthma.  Mouse and cockroach waste is known to be a trigger for asthma and these kinds of pests love damp areas.

Dust Mites

If you are aware that you have an allergy to dust mites you will already be familiar with many of the symptoms of this allergy including itchy eyes, sneezing, stuffy nose, other respiratory problems and even some asthmatic symptoms.  It is estimated that dust mites prosper in places where the temperature is around the 80 degrees F mark, and where the humidity measures above 60%.  In order to stop dust mite growth you need to keep your house below 50% humidity.  Air conditioning is the most successful way of creating a healthier environment for people who suffer from dust mite allergies, as it dehumidifies and cools the air.

Mould

It really is no secret that people get sick from working and living in damp areas.  Regardless of what it is that makes them sick, it relates back to mould.  With mould, the visible signs and smell is the main indicator.  It is thought that mould could be responsible for allergic reactions as well as many respiratory illnesses.  However, it is still unclear whether illness is caused by mould or whether mould is just simply an indicator that you have problems with dampness.

Most people try to find quick fix solutions to dampness; however there is no way to remove it overnight.  Whenever you see mould growing, you need to both eliminate the source of the excess moisture and remove the wet material.  The best way is to prevent dampness by avoiding condensation.   You should, if possible, invest in a venting system for your kitchen, tumble dryer and bathroom.  If this is not possible, you should open windows until steam disappears and if you notice a water intrusion or leak, fix the problem as soon as possible and remove all wet materials.  There are other damp proofing products that you can find online that will help you in the fight against unwanted moisture.

 
  • Calendar icon February 7, 2014
  • Category icon Tips

Leave a Reply