Welcome, terrific troops of tireless toddler tamers! It’s that wonderful time of year when turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie grace our tables. At Life Happens With Kids, we know an engaging Turkey Day isn’t just about the food on the table; it’s about the giggle-filled fun happening around it. So we’ve gobbled up some easy, inexpensive Thanksgiving activities for our little pilgrims, designed to keep them entertained and your sanity intact. Ready to make this Thanksgiving a feast of fun times? Buckle on your pilgrim hats and prepare to dive into our cornucopia of activities.
- Make your own Thanksgiving-themed crafts, such as paper turkeys or cornucopias.
- Create and perform a Thanksgiving play for the family, depicting the first Thanksgiving.
- Bake and decorate Thanksgiving-themed cookies or cupcakes.
- Design and craft your own place cards for the Thanksgiving meal.
- Organize and take part in a Thanksgiving scavenger hunt around the house or yard.
- Make a Thanksgiving-themed drawing or painting to display during dinner.
- Help prepare the Thanksgiving meal by peeling potatoes or setting the table.
- Enjoy a Thanksgiving movie or read a book on the history of Thanksgiving.
- Create a handmade ‘thankfulness’ jar where each family member can write and place what they are thankful for.
- Participate in a family game such as charades with a Thanksgiving theme.
- Take the Thanksgiving activity outdoors with a game of hide the turkeys
- Download printable Thanksgiving coloring pages for when mom is busy cooking
- Make a paper plate Mayflower boat with some construction paper and a little glue
- Ask your child to use their imagination and come up with a few of their own fun ideas
Who knows, they may have an idea that’s way better than any of mine!
Fun and Easy Thanksgiving Activities for Kids
Thanksgiving, that fun-filled family-friendly occasion is just around the corner. Still wondering how to celebrate Thanksgiving with your little turkeys? Fret not, we’ve got you covered with some easy Thanksgiving activities for kids! You don’t need to be Martha Stewart to put these Thanksgiving activities together. Yes, we even have several easy activities for preschoolers to stay busy and out of your kitchen!
Crush that myth that Thanksgiving activities for kids are stressful to plan. If toddlers are part of your family mix, we’ve still got you covered! These activities are toddler-proof and preschooler-approved, making your Thanksgiving full of giggles and memorable moments. Remember, at the heart of every activity, is the love of your ‘lil munchkins. Parents, let’s make this Thanksgiving one for the books!
1. Thanksgiving Crafts:
Crafts are the perfect way to keep your kids entertained during the holiday. You don’t need a lot of materials for these crafts, all you need is some paper, glue, and a little bit of creativity. You can have your kids create turkeys using their handprints or make a thankful tree where they can write down what they’re grateful for.
2. Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt:
A scavenger hunt is always a fun activity for kids. Take some time before the big day to hide Thanksgiving-themed objects throughout your home or backyard and have your kids search for them. These objects can be anything from a small pumpkin to a decorative leaf. You can also make it a race to see who can find all the objects first!
3. Have a Family Feud Thanksgiving Edition:
Who said trivia games were only for adults? Keep your kids entertained by having a family feud-style game filled with questions about Thanksgiving. Ask your kids questions like “What is the most popular type of pie served on Thanksgiving?
4. Thanksgiving Cooking:
Cooking is a great way to bond with your kids and teach them new skills. Have them help you with easy Thanksgiving recipes like pumpkin pie or stuffing. They’ll feel proud to have contributed to the meal and you’ll get some extra help in the kitchen!
5. Thanksgiving Movie Night:
After a long day of cooking and eating, it’s nice to relax with some Thanksgiving-themed movies. That’s why having a movie night with your kids can be a great way to unwind and spend quality time together. Some classic Thanksgiving movies include:
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
- Free Birds
- Garfield’s Thanksgiving
- If You Give a Mouse a Pumpkin
- An Arthur Thanksgiving
- Looney Tunes Thanksgiving
6. Start a Gratitude Jar:
Teaching your kids to be grateful for what they have is an important lesson. A gratitude jar is a simple way to do this. Have your kid write down one thing they’re grateful for each day and put it in the jar. On Thanksgiving Day, open the jar and read all the messages of gratitude together.
Thanksgiving Games for Kids – Exciting and Engaging Turkey Day Activities
Ok kiddos, let’s talk Thanksgiving board games. Specifically, Thanksgiving games that aren’t b-o-r-i-n-g! With the holiday right around the corner and cooler weather on the forecast, it’s the perfect time of the year to break out the Monopoly board or play a fun-yet-educational game of Scrabble.
|Rank||Game Name||Year of Release||Purchase Link|
|2||The Game of Life||1860||Buy Now|
|5||Connect Four||1974||Buy Now|
|7||Candy Land||1949||Buy Now|
Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to bond with your kids and create lasting memories. And what better way to do that than with some exciting and engaging games? If you don’t have these classic board games in a closet somewhere, here are some more ideas to get the kiddos engaged and entertained:
- Turkey Hunt: Similar to an Easter egg hunt, hide Thanksgiving-themed objects throughout your home or backyard and have your kids search for them. These objects can be anything from mini pumpkins to stuffed turkeys. The one who finds the most objects wins a special prize!
- Thanksgiving Bingo: Make your own bingo cards with Thanksgiving-related words or pictures and have a fun game night with your family. You can also use candy corn as bingo markers for an extra sweet touch.
- Pin the Feather on the Turkey: A classic party game, this one never gets old. Blindfold your kids and have them try to pin a paper feather on a turkey cutout. The closest one wins!
Let’s face it, there’s no better way to create memories than engrossing ourselves in the world of games and make-believe. A simple turkey game could become the most talked-about thing at Thanksgiving for years to come.
So, gear up and get ready to bring a truckload of fun to your Thanksgiving activities everyone – because more than anything, it’s the fun that truly makes the day magnifique! Game on!
Turkey Dinner Preparation – Involving Kids in Thanksgiving Holiday Celebrations
Turn simple dinner table setup into a fun activity. Let your tiny tots set the table. Create a printable checklist of things like napkins, plates, and spoons. This can be a super fun printable scavenger hunt! And the main event? The turkey carving. Simply pretend your kitchen is a show and let the shenanigans begin. Remember, giggles and a little (or a lot) of mess, that’s what things look like when Life Happens With Kids! Happy Turkey Day, folks!
Dessert Time! – Kid-Friendly Thanksgiving Treats
When the turkey carving is done and dinner has been served, it’s time for a sweet treat. Let your kids join in on the fun with kid-friendly desserts. From pumpkin pie to apple crisp, there are plenty of recipes that kids can help make. For a little extra creativity, consider making a Thanksgiving-themed cake. There are plenty of recipes and ideas out there to help you make something unique for the family to enjoy.
And don’t forget about those thirst quenchers! Serve up some delicious hot apple cider, (caffeine-free) pumpkin spiced lattes, or homemade eggnog (for the adults).
Finally, gather the family around and share stories from the day. It’s a great way to wrap up a wonderful Thanksgiving meal and make memories with your loved ones.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your little turkeys!
Trust Life Happens With Kids to make your Thanksgiving activity planning stress-free because, well, let’s be honest, nothing else at this time of the year ever is!
As we wrap things up, remember that Thanksgiving should be a joy-filled, stress-free day for everyone, kids included! Remember, these are meant to be fun, not work! So, relax, belly-laugh, make that goofy turkey craft, enjoy the innocence and delight of this truly special time with your little ones. Be encouraged that Life Happens With Kids, and this Thanksgiving, enjoy the ride! Keep these ‘Easy Thanksgiving Activities for Kids’ in your holiday toolkit and enjoy a wonderful, fun-filled Thanksgiving. After all, even the messiest activities eventually lead to beautiful memories.