As winter draws near, families are looking for ways to stay active and enjoy the cold weather. Parents of young children may be especially curious as to what outdoor activities can be done during the winter months. Fortunately, there are plenty of fun activities that kids can do outdoors in the winter. From snowshoeing to ice fishing, here is a list of some of the best outdoor winter activities for kids.
Table of Contents
- How to Keep Kids Safe and Warm While Enjoying Outdoor Winter Activities
- Fun Winter Games to Play Outdoors with Kids
- Creative Ways to Make Snowmen with Kids
- Tips for Building the Perfect Snow Fort with Kids
- How to Teach Kids to Ski and Snowboard
- The Benefits of Outdoor Winter Activities for Kids
How to Keep Kids Safe and Warm While Enjoying Outdoor Winter Activities
Winter is a great time to get outdoors and enjoy some fun activities with your kids. However, it is important to keep them safe and warm while doing so. Here are some tips to help you do just that:
1. Dress your kids in layers. Layering is key to staying warm in cold weather. Start with a base layer of lightweight, breathable clothing such as a long-sleeved shirt and long underwear. Add a middle layer of fleece or wool for insulation, and top it off with a waterproof outer layer. Make sure to cover their head, hands, and feet with hats, gloves, and boots.
2. Make sure your kids stay hydrated. Even in cold weather, it is important to stay hydrated. Bring along plenty of water and encourage your kids to drink it throughout the day.
3. Protect your kids from the sun. The sun’s rays can be just as strong in the winter as in the summer. Make sure your kids wear sunscreen and sunglasses to protect their skin and eyes.
4. Monitor your kids’ activity levels. Make sure your kids don’t overexert themselves in the cold weather. If they start to feel too cold or tired, take a break and warm up.
5. Be aware of the weather. Check the forecast before heading out and be prepared for any changes in the weather. If the temperature drops or the wind picks up, it’s time to head back inside.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your kids stay safe and warm while enjoying outdoor winter activities. Next, we’ll take a look at nine fun winter games you can play together.
Fun Winter Games to Play Outdoors with Kids
1. Snowball Fight: Nothing says winter fun like a good old-fashioned snowball fight! Gather up the kids and arm them with snowballs for a fun outdoor battle.
2. Snow Angels: Get creative and decorate your snow angels after you make imprints in the snow.
3. Ice Skating: Bundle up and head to the nearest ice rink for some outdoor fun. Ice skating is a great way to get the kids moving and having fun.
4. Sledding: Sledding is a classic winter activity that never gets old. Find a hill nearby and let the kids take turns sledding down.
5. Snow Angels: Have the kids lay down in the snow and make snow angels. This is a great way to get the kids outside and having fun.
6. Snow Sculpting: Get creative and have the kids sculpt snow into different shapes and figures. This is a great way to get the kids using their imaginations and having fun.
7. Snowball Bowling: Set up some empty plastic bottles and have the kids take turns bowling with snowballs. This is a great way to get the kids active and having fun.
8. Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is a great way to explore the outdoors in the winter. Have the kids put on their snowshoes and explore the winter wonderland.
9. Snowball Target Practice: Set up some targets and have the kids take turns throwing snowballs at them. This is a great way to get the kids active and having fun.
Creative Ways to Make Snowmen with Kids
Making snowmen with kids is a fun and creative way to spend time outdoors during the winter months. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
1. Start with the basics. Gather three large snowballs of different sizes and stack them on top of each other. This will form the body of your snowman.
2. Add some personality. Give your snowman a face by using sticks, stones, or other small objects to create eyes, a nose, and a mouth. You can also use a carrot for the nose and buttons for the eyes.
3. Dress him up. Use scarves, hats, and other accessories to give your snowman a unique look. You can also use twigs for arms and a broom for a broomstick.
4. Make it interactive. Have your kids create a game or activity for their snowman. They can make a snow TV for it to watch or build an entire ‘living room’ around it.
Making snowmen with kids is a great way to get outside and have some fun during the winter months. With a little creativity, you can create a unique snowman that your kids will love.
Tips for Building the Perfect Snow Fort with Kids
1. Start with a plan: Before you and your kids start building, take a few minutes to plan out the design of your snow fort. This will help you and your kids stay organized and make sure the fort turns out the way you want it.
2. Gather the right tools: You’ll need a few basic tools to build a great snow fort. Shovels, buckets, and snow scoops are all great tools to have on hand.
3. Choose the right location: Pick a spot that’s flat and has plenty of snow. Avoid areas with trees or other obstacles that could get in the way of your fort.
4. Start with a strong base: The base of your fort should be the strongest part. Make sure to pack the snow tightly and use plenty of snow to create a solid foundation.
5. Add walls and a roof: Once the base is complete, start building up the walls and roof. Make sure to use plenty of snow and pack it tightly to create a sturdy structure.
6. Have fun: Building a snow fort is a great way to spend time with your kids and get creative. Have fun and let your kids use their imaginations to create a unique and awesome snow fort.
How to Teach Kids to Ski and Snowboard
Teaching kids to ski and snowboard can be a fun and rewarding experience for both the parent and the child. With the right approach, you can help your child learn the basics of skiing and snowboarding in a safe and enjoyable way. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Start with the basics. Before you hit the slopes, make sure your child is familiar with the basics of skiing and snowboarding. This includes understanding the different types of equipment, how to put it on, and how to use it. You can also teach them the basics of balance and how to move their body to control their speed.
2. Make it fun. Skiing and snowboarding can be intimidating for kids, so make sure to keep it fun. Encourage them to take breaks and reward them for their progress. You can also make a game out of it by setting up a course for them to complete or having them race each other.
3. Take it slow. Don’t expect your child to be an expert skier or snowboarder overnight. Start with small slopes and gradually increase the difficulty as they become more comfortable.
4. Be patient. Learning to ski and snowboard can be frustrating for kids, so make sure to be patient and encouraging. If they’re having trouble, take a break and try again later.
5. Stay safe. Make sure your child is wearing the proper safety gear and that they understand the importance of following the rules of the slopes.
With patience and practice, they’ll be shredding the slopes in no time!
The Benefits of Outdoor Winter Activities for Kids
Winter can be a difficult time for kids, especially if they are stuck indoors a lot. Give them a little supervised time outside to break the monotony of the season. Fun outdoor winter activities like the ones we covered today can be a great way to keep your kids active and engaged during the colder months. Here are just a few of the benefits of outdoor winter activities for kids.
1. Improved physical health: Outdoor winter activities can help kids stay physically active during the winter months. Activities like sledding, snowshoeing, and ice skating can help kids stay fit and healthy.
2. Improved mental health: Outdoor winter activities can also help improve mental health. Being outdoors in the fresh air can help reduce stress and anxiety, and can help kids stay focused and energized.
3. Improved social skills: Outdoor winter activities can also help kids develop important social skills. Activities like building a snowman or having a snowball fight can help kids learn how to work together and build relationships.
4. Improved creativity: Outdoor winter activities can also help kids develop their creativity. Activities like making snow angels or creating snow sculptures can help kids express themselves and explore their imaginations.
Overall, outdoor winter activities can be a great way to keep kids active and engaged during the colder months. Not only can they help improve physical and mental health, but they can also help kids develop important social skills and explore their creativity. So, if you’re looking for a way to keep your kids entertained this winter, consider taking them outside for some fun winter activities.
Concluding Thoughts From Life Happens With Kids
Now you’re all set and ready to keep them active and entertained during the cold winter months. From sledding and snowman building to ice skating and snowshoeing, there are plenty of fun activities that can be enjoyed in the snow. With the right clothing and safety precautions, kids can have a blast while staying warm and safe. So bundle up and get outside to enjoy the winter wonderland!
Life Happens With Kids is a parenting lifestyle blog that is dedicated to helping families navigate the joys and challenges of parenthood. From providing insight into parenting struggles to suggesting activities for kids, our aim is to provide useful resources that can help make life a little bit easier. We hope you’ve enjoyed this article on winter activities and found it helpful in your quest of keeping your kids active and engaged during these cold months.